Python and mysql 3 tier programming

Jason Friedman jsf80238 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 11:38:37 EDT 2013

> System Debian Wheezy Linux
> Python 2.7
> Mysql 5.5.31
> Apache Server
>
> I am somewhat conversant with html, css, SQL, mysql, Apache and Debian
> Linux. Actually I have been using Debian for over 10 year. I spent over 5
> year, prior to retirement, programming database based applications in
> Foxpro. I can also struggle through Java Script. I am just starting to use
> python. I've started with development of a rather complicated document
> archiving system with about 5 different levels of users and over 100 years
> of documents. photos, etc. The database setup has gone smoothly and other
> than one trial web page I'm leaving that for later. Finally to the problem.
> Where does python start and mysql stored procedures stop and visa versa. I'm
> trying to stick to a 3 tier philosophy but am having trouble figuring out
> where the dividing line is between the two packages. Further python seems to
> like cursor tables a lot and Oracles Mysql 5.5 discourages their use. Are
> they talking about the same thing.
>
> My problem is mostly with the basic architecture of the system. I think I
> will be able to figure out the code. Also, any comments on the use of the
> Django framework for this project.

Hello Gary,
Is your primary goal to write code or is it to have available to you a
document archiving solution?
If the latter, you will probably save time by using an existing system
(e.g., Google Docs).
If the former, I have a few thoughts.
One, you should probably be using Python 3 rather than 2, I think the
command is "sudo aptitude install python3".
Two, I think of stored procedures as being good at manipulating data
really fast.  With a document management system most activity will be
retrieval rather than manipulation.