Am I not seeing the Error?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Aug 10 22:33:52 EDT 2013

On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 3:19 AM, Devyn Collier Johnson
<devyncjohnson at gmail.com> wrote:
> am checking my 1292-line script for syntax errors. I ran the following
> commands in a terminal to check for errors, but I do not see the error.
>
> collier at Nacho-Laptop:/media/collier/AI/Pysh$ python3 -m py_compile
> ./beta_engine
>   File "./beta_engine", line 344
>     JOB_WRITEURGFILES =
> multiprocessing.Process(write2file('./mem/ENGINE_PID', ENGINEPID);
> write2file(SENTEMPPATH, ''); write2file(INPUTMEM, ''));
> JOB_WRITEURGFILES.start()
> ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

When you get a syntax error you can't understand, look at the previous
line of code. Perhaps something there is incomplete; maybe you have
mismatched parentheses, so this line is considered to be part of the
same expression.

Next thing to do is split it into more lines. Why is all that in a single line?

ChrisA