The meaning of "doubt", was Re: Python Basic Doubt

Roy Smith roy at panix.com
Sat Aug 10 14:55:51 EDT 2013

In article <mailman.433.1376159810.1251.python-list at python.org>,
 Peter Otten <__peter__ at web.de> wrote:

> Quoting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_English
>
> """
> doubt = question or query; e.g. one would say, 'I have a doubt' when one
> wishes to ask a question.
> """
>
> I'd say if Brits can cope (hard as it may be) with the American variant of
> the language, and native speakers can live with the broken English used to
> communicate in the rest of the world there is ample room for an Indian
> flavo(u)r now and then...

Yup.  I used to work with a development team in Bangalore.  One of the
amusing aspects of the collaboration was the subtle language issues.
For example, apparently, "Roy" is a common *last* name in India.  No
matter how many times I explained it, the guys over there couldn't seem
to get that Roy is my first name and Smith is my last name.  So, in
settings where everybody was using first names, they would always call
me Smith.  I shudder to think what carnage I accidentally inflicted on
their names :-)

And, of course, since we're on the subject, this should be required
reading for all programmers:

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-
names/