The meaning of "doubt", was Re: Python Basic Doubt

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Aug 10 15:51:32 EDT 2013

On 8/10/2013 2:36 PM, Peter Otten wrote:
> Terry Reedy wrote:
>
>> On 8/10/2013 11:33 AM, Krishnan Shankar wrote:
>>> Hi Fellow Python Friends,
>>>
>>> I am new to Python and recently subscribed to the mailing list.I have a
>>> doubt regarding the basics of Python. Please help me in understanding
>>> the below concept.
>>>
>>> So doubt is on variables and their contained value.
>>
>> It would be better English to say that you have a 'question' or even
>> 'confusion', rather than a 'doubt'. From your subject line, I got the
>> impression that you doubted that you should learn or use Python. That
>> clearly is not what you meant.
>
> Quoting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_English
>
> """
> doubt = question or query; e.g. one would say, 'I have a doubt' when one
> wishes to ask a question.
> """

Thank you for verifying by suspicion (in the neutral sense) that this
might be a generic Indian English usage.

> I'd say if Brits can cope (hard as it may be) with the American variant of
> the language, and native speakers can live with the broken English used to
> communicate in the rest of the world there is ample room for an Indian
> flavo(u)r now and then...

The issue I raised was one of avoiding misunderstanding, especially in a
short subject line. I almost skipped over the post because of it.

I could have added a recommendation to be more specific. Any of
   "Question/confusion/doubt about int identity"
would have been better.

--
Terry Jan Reedy