PEP 450 Adding a statistics module to Python

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sat Aug 10 01:05:06 EDT 2013

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

> Given that installing numpy or scipy is generally no more difficult
> that executing "pip install (scipy|numpy)" I'm not really feeling the
> need for a battery here...

NumPy and SciPy are not available for many Python users, including those
using a Python implementation for which there is no Numpy support
<URL:http://new.scipy.org/faq.html#python-version-support> and those for
whom large, dependency-heavy third-party packages are too much burden.

See the Rationale of PEP 450 for more reasons why “install NumPy” is not
a feasible solution for many use cases, and why having ‘statistics’ as a
pure-Python, standard-library package is desirable.

--
 \         “Dad always thought laughter was the best medicine, which I |
  `\    guess is why several of us died of tuberculosis.” —Jack Handey |