Creating a running tally/ definitely new to this

Joshua Landau joshua at landau.ws
Mon Aug 5 21:56:08 EDT 2013

On 6 August 2013 02:01, <gratedmedia at gmail.com> wrote:

> I currently working on a game, where I need to maintain a running tally of
> money, as the player makes purchases as they navigate thru game.   I not
> exactly sure how to do this in python.  I know it is a fairly basic step,
> nonetheless.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

If I understand correctly you want to store the amount of money in a
variable as a number that can be changed from many places within the code.

Say you have:

    money = 0

    def do_some_adventuring():
        ... # Add some money

You can "add some money" with:

        global money # Allow changing money from within the function
        money += 10 # for example

Is that it?

----

Note that normally you'd have some class of player with a money attribute
which can be accessed, but as a guess from the question I'm not sure you
know about classes yet.