how to compare two fields in python

upendra kumar Devisetty upendrakumar.devisetty at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 30 13:41:56 EDT 2013

I have a very basic question in python. I want to go through each line of the a csv file and compare to see if the first field of line 1 is same as first field of next line and so on. If it finds a match then i would like to put that field in an object1 else put that field in a different object2. Finally i would like to count how many of the fields in object1 vs object2. Can this be done in python? Here is a small example.

BRM_1   679 1929
BRM_1   203 567
BRM_2   367 1308
BRM_3   435 509
As you can see field1 of line1 is same as field2 of line2 and so that field BRM_1 should be place in object1 and BRM_2 and BRM_3 should be placed in object2. So the final numbers of object1 is 1 and object2 is 2.

Thanks in advance..

Upendra