python process accounting

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 14:19:35 EDT 2013

On 2013-04-30 17:25, Rita wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if it possible to write a python wrapper which will account my
> processes. I would like to account for all the children processes (fork) by
> looking at their /proc/<pid> info. Such as memory, io, open files, stats.
>
> So, instead of me running "/bin/sleep 10", i would like to run it as "pywrap.py
> /bin/sleep 10" and it will do an exec /bin/sleep 10 and do a periodic snapshot
> for whats in /proc/<pid>/stats.

Something like this is approximately the right structure for such a program.

#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
import subprocess
import time

PERIOD = 1.0  # seconds

def check_stats(pid):
     # You will have to implement this.
     # Check out psutil:
     #   https://pypi.python.org/pypi/psutil
     print 'Checking process {0}'.format(pid)

def main():
     cmd = sys.argv[1:]
     p = subprocess.Popen(cmd)
     while p.poll() is None:
         check_stats(p.pid)
         # There are more accurate ways to do this, but this probably
         # suffices for you.
         time.sleep(PERIOD)

if __name__ == '__main__':
     main()