Ubuntu package "python3" does not include tkinter

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 20:47:26 EDT 2013

On 2013.04.22 19:22, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> It's only when I actually try to do something that requires an X display
> that it will fail. I won't show the entire traceback, because it is long
> and not particularly enlightening, but the final error message explains
> exactly why it isn't working:
>
> _tkinter.TclError: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable
So you want to go from "this won't work because it's not installed" to "this won't work, and it there could be a hundred different reasons
why"? tkinter's main function is to display something on a display. To say that displaying something is an optional feature is absurd.
"You can install this, but your package manager won't pull in any dependencies because a few minor things will work without them. If you
want it to actually do what it was made for, you need to install them yourself." Much bigger problem than the OP's, no?

--
CPython 3.3.1 | Windows NT 6.2.9200 / FreeBSD 9.1