Ubuntu package "python3" does not include tkinter

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 20:36:38 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> It's only when I actually try to do something that requires an X display
> that it will fail. I won't show the entire traceback, because it is long
> and not particularly enlightening, but the final error message explains
> exactly why it isn't working:
>
> _tkinter.TclError: no display name and no $DISPLAY environment variable

You presumably have a system to test this on. Can you try using ssh -X
to get to it, and then retry that action? It looks like you actually
have everything you need, just no display... which is exactly what
you'd get if you ssh to something that has a real GUI. Not a
dependency problem.

ChrisA