Ubuntu package "python3" does not include tkinter

Andrew Berg bahamutzero8825 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 13:35:44 EDT 2013

On 2013.04.19 12:17, lcrocker wrote:
> Am I mistaken in my belief that tkinter is a non-optional part of the
> Python language? I installed the "python3" package on Ubuntu, and
> tkinter is not included--it's an optional package "python3-tk" that
> has to be installed separately. I reported this as a bug as was
> summarily slapped down.
Forcing Tkinter as a dependency would result in a ton of things being installed to support it. Why should a web server using Django have X
installed and running because Python /can/ support a GUI in the standard library? It's trivial to install Tkinter if you need it, but it
would be a huge mess to try to remove it from an installation that requires it - even if you never use Tkinter. Ubuntu is far from alone
here. FreeBSD (and probably the other BSDs) and most Linux distros do something similar. There is zero reason to force Tkinter and its
dependencies on all Python users.
--
CPython 3.3.0 | Windows NT 6.2.9200 / FreeBSD 9.1