Encoding NaN in JSON

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Fri Apr 19 15:42:49 EDT 2013

On 2013-04-19, Chris ???Kwpolska??? Warrick <kwpolska at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>> Why not use `null` instead? It seems to be semantically more similar...
>>
>> Why not use 'NaN' instead? It seems to be even more semantically
>> similar...
>
> Because there is no NaN in JSON?  Unless you mean a string, which
> makes no semantical sense and is human-oriented and not
> machine-oriented.

The OP asked for a string, and I thought you were proposing the string
'null'.  If one is to use a string, then 'NaN' makes the most sense,
since it can be converted back into a floating point NaN object.

I infer that you were proposing a JSON null value and not the string
'null'?

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I'm receiving a coded
                                  at               message from EUBIE BLAKE!!