Preparing sqlite, dl and tkinter for Python installation (no admin rights)

Jason Swails jason.swails at gmail.com
Thu Apr 18 11:05:29 EDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM, James Jong <ribonucleico at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks so much Chris. This is part of a super computer and I am afraid I
> don't have access to a machine with sudo permissions and similar
> architecture & OS.
>
> Is there any way to active higher level of verbosity during the build
> process to identify what is failing? Or anything specifically I should
> watch for?

Most supercomputers I'm familiar with have some variant of Linux running
(e.g., SUSE or Red Hat are quite common).  Some of these machines only have
barebone kernels on the compute nodes, though, and have a fully-fledged
Linux OS only on the login nodes... This info is typically on the website
for that supercomputer (if it has one), or any other available
documentation.

That said, there are other options available that are probably less of a
hassle for you:

1) Skip tkinter unless you _know_ you really need it.  Do you plan on doing
X-forwarding when you log in?  Can you run the GUI app on your local
machine before uploading the files you need for computation?  Running GUIs
locally rather than over the network is typically much faster, anyway.

2) Submit a ticket to the supercomputer staff requesting that they install
the software you need.  There may be other 'gotchas' associated with
installing certain software on supercomputers that the staff would know
best.

Good luck,
Jason