Message passing syntax for objects | OOPv2

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 03:16:08 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Mark Janssen
<dreamingforward at gmail.com> wrote:
> Further, I will admit that I am not deeply
> experienced in application or Internet programming

Would you listen to someone who is, by his own admission, not
experienced as a surgeon, and tries to tell you that your liver and
heart would be better placed the other way around?

You may well have some insight that nobody else has yet seen, but you
do yourself no service by trying to argue without first-hand
experience, and lots of it. I'm not going to go to a LISP mailing list
and try to tell them that functional programming is better done with
some different syntax, because I am not an experienced LISPer.
(Dabbled in Scheme, that's about as close as I get. And only dabbled.
And only because GNU LilyPond uses it.) Things are the way they are
because someone's spent decades working with them. Sure, not
everything's perfect... but it takes someone with actual coding
experience and expertise to point out improvements.

Read the python-list and python-tutor archives and listen to people
like Peter Otten and Steven D'Aprano, both of whom have been using the
language for, uhh... 3.5 millenia, probably. (Me? I'm a n00b. Haven't
seriously used Python for even a decade yet, though I think I met it
in the late 90s or early 00s. Got my coding experience on other
languages.) Listen to them when they explain to people why Python is
how it is, and you'll gain a much greater comprehension of what
actually works.

ChrisA