Unicode issue with Python v3.3

Steven D'Aprano steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info
Wed Apr 10 04:28:55 EDT 2013

On Tue, 09 Apr 2013 23:04:35 -0700, rusi wrote:

> Hmm I see some cut-paste goofup on my part. I was meaning to juxtapose
> this thread where we put up with inordinate amount of nonsense from OP
> along with the recent thread in which a newcomer who thinks he has found
> a bug in pdb is made fun of.

Curious. Is this making fun of the newcomer?

  If you are able to supply more details, we might be able to
  follow up on the registration problem.  And,  as someone else
  suggested, you could post the details of the pdb problem here.
  Note, there are already a number of currently open issues with
  pdb reported on the bug tracker. If you haven't already, you
  could search for "pdb" and see if your problem has been reported.
  Thanks for bringing the problem(s) up!

Or perhaps this is making fun of them?

  Post the 10-line program here, so others can verify whether it is a bug.

I think it is quite unfair of you to mischaracterise the entire community
response in this way. One person made a light-hearted, silly, unhelpful
response. (As sarcasm, I'm afraid it missed the target.) Two people made
good, sensible responses -- and you were not either of them.

If you want to be helpful, how about leading by example and taking on
some of the less coherent newbie questions, instead of just bitching that
others don't? It's easy, and a pleasure, to give good answers to well-
written, carefully thought out questions. It's much harder to do the same
for those questions which are... shall we say... less optimal. We could
do with a few more people who make an effort to be helpful and friendly,
instead of scolds who just tell us off when we stumble.

> Then thought better of it and deleted the stuff. However I did not do a
> good delete-job so I better now say what I avoided saying:
>
> If those who habitually post rubbish are given much of our time and
> effort,
> whereas newcomers and first-timers are treated rudely, the list begins
> to smell like a club of old farts.

It's often the newcomers who are posting rubbish. Should we ignore them
for posting rubbish, or welcome them for being newcomers?

--
Steven