Cannot install readline in pythonbrew install of 3.3.0

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sat Apr 6 22:53:23 EDT 2013

In article <5160BCBC.3030002 at gmail.com>, Gene <spacebuoy at gmail.com>
wrote:
> I hope someone can help with this problem with pythonbrew on my mac
> running OS X 10.8.3 with updated Xcode and CLT.
[...]
> The python 3.3.0 install using pythonbrew was made with default options
> and seems to be working okay but when I easy_install readline per
> ipython recommend:
[...]
> Any ideas?

pythonbrew does its own funky things above and beyond standard OS X
Python installs.  Further, the PyPI readline distribution (which
substitutes GNU readline for the OS X default BSD editline library) does
its own funky things.  I don't use either so I'm copping out here and
not going to try to debug what's going wrong when you try to use them
together.  You *might* be better off just manually building and
installing GNU readline in /usr/local and then use pythonbrew to rebuild
Python 3.3 (3.3.1 was just released, BTW).  Otherwise, you could search
the pythonbrew issue list and open an issue there, if necessary.  Or use
a python.org 3.3 along with PyPI readline.  Or install ipython3.3,
Python 3.3, and GNU readline from MacPorts or Homebrew.

https://github.com/utahta/pythonbrew/issues

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org