I hate you all

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 18:00:06 EDT 2013

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 7:29 AM, Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 2013-04-08, Walter Hurry <walterhurry at lavabit.com> wrote:
>> The fact of Python enforcing it (or all tabs; a poor second choice)
>> is *a good thing*, easy and natural IMHO. No need for "end if" or
>> "end loop" or "fi". One wonders whether OP is simply trolling.
>
> If he was trolling, he certainly deserves a prize.

I don't think he was trolling. It was a classic-model rant: "I
upgraded my dependency to a newer version and all my stuff broke".
Commonly provokes anger, largely because many such upgrades do NOT
break stuff (eg if I were to switch from gcc 4.5 to gcc 4.7 right now,
I doubt anything would break, and my code would be able to use the new
iterator syntax in c++11 - pity 4.7 isn't packaged for Debian
Squeeze). The OP upgraded across an openly-non-backward-compatible
boundary, and got angry over one particular aspect of backward compat
that wasn't there.

ChrisA