Help me with PyCharm on Mac OS

Dave Angel davea at davea.name
Thu Apr 4 06:13:03 EDT 2013

On 04/04/2013 04:19 AM, YE SHANG wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm a newbie of developing GAE Apps on Mac.
>
> My Mac OS is Mountain Lion, I reinstalled python 2.7.3 instead of pre-installed python 2.7.2, as well as GAE SDK.
>
> I finished configuration of Python interpreter(/usr/local/bin/python2.7), and Google App Engine(/usr/local/google_appengine).
>
> It looks fine until I run the GAE project, there is an error appeared like below:

> /usr/local/bin/python2.7 /usr/local/bin/pythonw /usr/local/google_appengine/dev_appserver.py .
>    File "/usr/local/bin/pythonw", line 1
> SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character '\xca' in file /usr/local/bin/pythonw on line 1, but no encoding declared; see http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details
>
> Process finished with exit code 1
> I can't understand what's going on, I've already add "-*- coding: utf-8 -*-" at the line 1 in main.py.
> I created another python file and ran it on pycharm, it works well.
> So I'm just confused what happend with my GAE project.
>
> PS: I can run GAE project on GAE launcher, so I guess there must be something wrong with my configuration of pycharm.
> I used pycharm both on Windows or Ubuntu before, they all functioned well.
>
> Can anybody help me? Thanks.

I don't know anything about GAE, but I may be able to point you to the
problem.

Is /usr/local/bin/pythonw a file you put there?  Is it a text file or
binary?  The error message shows that Python thinks it's supposed to be
a text file, but the lack of a .py extension makes me suspicious.  Could
it be an executable supplied by GAE that you're supposed to run instead
of python2.7 ?

What command line are you using to launch this?  Are you typing

     python pythonw

by any chance?  If so, you're telling Python to treat it as a text file,
specifically as your main script.

Wild guess:  maybe GAE wants you to use a command line like:

     pythonw main.py

--
DaveA