Data storage Py 3.3

Terry Jan Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Apr 3 22:09:53 EDT 2013

On 4/3/2013 6:53 PM, Irmen de Jong wrote:
> On 4-4-2013 0:33, Joe Hill wrote:
>> IDLE wants to use Python33 as the data storage folder - with exe files
>> etc.
>> Typically the 'default data storage' is in 'last used' directory or most
>> programs even have a browse setting that one can quickly set and reset.
>>
>> What do people here generally do?
>>
>> When I installed 3.3, (W7- 64) I selected the first option for paths etc.
>> and everything seems to just run fine

I have a c:\Programs folder where I put multiple versions of python and
selected other programs whose directories I might want to visit.

> Don't store your files in the Python33 directory even though it is idle's default
> suggestion.

I once did that, but then I had to move stuff when the Python x.y
directory became obsolete. It was also a problem when I wanted to test a
file with more than one python version.

> I have my Python code sitting in appropriate subdirectories of a 'Projects' folder
> somewhere (on a different drive on my Windows system, or just a subfolder in my
> homedirectory on my Linux VM).

I have a file tem.py in my miscellaneous python directory. When I am
writing possibly throwaway code, I open it from the recent files list,
empty the old code, and go. I can always save as another name if I want
to keep the code. tem.py is almost always on the list because I use it
frequently.