Distributing a Python program hell

John Nagle nagle at animats.com
Wed Apr 3 15:41:25 EDT 2013

I'm struggling with radio hams who are trying to get my
antique Teletype program running.  I hate having to write
instructions like this:

  Installation instructions (Windows):

  Download and install Python 2.7 (32-bit) if not already installed.
  (Python 2.6 or 2.7 is required; "pyserial" will not work correctly on
  older versions, and "feedparser" is not supported in 3.x versions.)

  Install the Python module "setuptools" from the Python Package Index.
  (Needed by other installers. Has a Windows installer.)

  Install the Python module "feedparser" from Google Code.
  (Unpack ZiP  file, run "setup.py install")

  Install the Python module "pyserial" from SourceForge.
  (Windows installer, but 32-bit only)

  Install the Python module "pygooglevoice" from Google Code.
  (Requires 7Zip to unpack the .tar.gz file. Then "setup.py install")

  Download "BaudotRSS" from SourceForge. (ZIP file, put in your
  chosen directory for this program.)

  Run: python baudotrss.py --help

I'm thinking of switching to Go.

			John Nagle