IDLE printing problem

Terry Jan Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Apr 3 18:17:26 EDT 2013

On 4/3/2013 5:16 PM, Joe Hill wrote:
> On Wed, 03 Apr 2013 16:20:20 -0400, Terry Jan Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/3/2013 2:50 PM, Joe Hill wrote:

>>> Text that I needed to make sense of the page did not print from the help
>>> file.  Characters were missing on the right side on every long line on
>>> every page.
>>
>> I got that already. Until you say what you did, in enough detail to
>> reproduce your actions, I cannot comment further.

> I Open IDLE and click on Help and select the second option which is
> Documentation - select Glossary.

The three options I see are
1) 'About Idle',
2) 'Idle help', which brings as a 2 page doc starting "[See the end of
this file for ** TIPS **", and
3) "Python Docs - F1". On Windows, this third option brings up Windows
Help opened to the windows-help version of the docs, which are also
available online in a browser. In either case, Glossary is one of the docs.

We have left IDLE so your problem has nothing to do with IDLE. On
Windows, one can open the same doc from the Start menu by selecting
Python x.y / Python Docs.

> I then click on the Print icon at the
> top of the Help/Documentation screen - then let er rip.
> The word/line wrap on the screen is ok and the printed output is not.

The word wrap on the screen adjusts to the window width. With the window
too wide for the printer, I selected about five paragraphs, printed the
selection, and the text was properly re-wrapped for printing with
nothing lost, as if the display window had been narrowed. Windows
obvious knows how wide the virtual window is for the particular
combination of font (about 14 pt proportional sans serif) and printer.
Apparently it is mis-calculating for your font and printer combination.

> This was all unexpected outcomes.
> I appreciate your help and that perhaps a fix can be found for everyone.
> Mine is a very standard setup W7 Ult, 64bit  and an Epson printer
> (WP-4020)

I have 64 bit Win7 pro with Canon and HP printers. The help window with
a sheet+? icon in the upper left is Microsoft's program. The only thing
I can suggest is to check for updated drivers, and make sure you have
the correct driver.

--
Terry Jan Reedy