Performance of int/long in Python 3

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Apr 7 11:14:10 EDT 2013

On 06/04/2013 22:24, Chris Angelico wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 6, 2013 at 8:09 PM, Serhiy Storchaka <storchaka at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 04.04.13 00:57, Chris Angelico написав(ла):
>>> http://bugs.python.org/issue17629 opened.
>>

>> See also the discussion at
>> http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.ideas/15640 . I agree with
>> rejection. This is an implementation detail and different Python
>> implementations (including future CPython versions) can have different
>> internal string implementations.
>
> I really don't see why this means that there can't be a function in
> sys, or something. I mean, other Pythons aren't expected to return the
> exact same values from sys.getsizeof, are they? But clearly the weight
> of opinion is against me, so fine, I don't care that much.
>
> ChrisA

There is nothing to stop anybody providing a patch to give this
functionality.  The downside is long term someone has to maintain it.  I
strongly prefer having python devs spending their time looking after
the 3905 open issues of which 1729 have patches, see
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.python.devel/138310

--
If you're using GoogleCrap™ please read this
http://wiki.python.org/moin/GoogleGroupsPython.

Mark Lawrence