Performance of int/long in Python 3

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Tue Apr 2 11:09:18 EDT 2013

On 04/02/2013 07:39 AM, Steve Simmons wrote:

> On 02/04/2013 15:03, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>> On Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:58:11 +0100, Steve Simmons wrote:
>>
>>> It seems to me that jmf *might* be moving towards a vindicated position.
>>>   There is some interest now in duplicating, understanding and
>>> (hopefully!) extending his test results, which can only be a Good Thing
>>> - whatever the outcome and wherever the facepalm might land.
>> Some interest "now"? Oh please.
>>
>> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2012-September/629810.html
>>
>> Mark Lawrence even created a bug report to track this, also back in
>> September.
>>
>> http://bugs.python.org/issue16061
>>
>> I'm sure you didn't intend to be insulting, but some of us *have* taken
>> JMF seriously, at least at first. His repeated overblown claims of how
>> Python is destroying Unicode, his lack of acknowledgement that other
>> people have seen string handling *speed up* not slow down, and his
>> refusal to assist in diagnosing this performance regression except to
>> repeatedly quote the same artificial micro-benchmarks over and over again
>> have lost him whatever credibility he started with.
>>
>> This feature is a *memory optimization*, not a speed optimization, and
>> yet as a side-effect of saving memory, it also saves time. Real-world
>> benchmarks of actual applications demonstrate this. One or two trivial
>> slowdowns of artificial micro-benchmarks simply are not important, even
>> if they are genuine. I believe they are genuine, but likely operating
>> system and hardware dependent.
>>

> First off, no insult intended and I haven't been part of this list long enough to be fully immersed in the history of
> this so I'm sure there are events of which I am unaware.

Yes, that would be his months of trollish behavior on this subject.

> However, it seems to me that, for whatever reason, JMF has reached the end of his capacity

His capacity, maybe; his time?  Not by a long shot.  I am positive we will continue to see his uncooperative, bratty*
behavior continue ad nauseum.

--
~Ethan~

*I was going to say childish, but I know plenty of better behaved children.