Can't import modules

Joshua Landau joshua.landau.ws at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 21:21:20 EDT 2012

On 1 October 2012 01:35, Peter Farrell <peterfarrell66 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for trying to help, everybody. Sorry I didn't post the whole error
> message. Now my problem is I just installed VPython and I'm trying to run
> the very first example, bounce.py which I located. I opened it and ran it
> in Idle. I got this message:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Python32\Lib\site-packages\visual\examples\bounce.py", line 1,
> in <module>
>     from visual import *
>   File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\visual\__init__.py", line 1, in
> <module>
>     from .visual_all import *
>   File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\visual\visual_all.py", line 1, in
> <module>
>     from vis import version
>   File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\vis\__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
>     from .cvisual import (vector, dot, mag, mag2, norm, cross, rotate,
> SystemError: initialization of cvisual raised unreported exception
>
> I'm not a programmer, just a math teacher/tutor who's trying to teach my
> students to understand math through using something real like Python. I'll
> keep you posted on my progress.
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!

Please don't top post <http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/T/top-post.html>.

Are you using Ubuntu, by chance? If you are, try looking at the VPython
archives <https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/visualpython-users>,
specifically this<http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=505EA4AE.5050201%40aut.ac.nz&forum_name=visualpython-users>.
I chose that because although I know almost nothing about VPython it is
recent. Try VPython's list even if it isn't as they're likely to know more
than us.

Also, this error is distinctly different to the one you first posted. What
happened there?