Can't import modules

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Sun Sep 30 21:16:30 EDT 2012

On 09/30/2012 08:35 PM, Peter Farrell wrote:

You top-posted, which means there's no context;  the message is now out
of order.  Please put your responses after the parts you're quoting, or
don't bother quoting.

> Thanks for trying to help, everybody. Sorry I didn't post the whole error message. Now my problem is I just installed VPython and I'm trying to run the very first example, bounce.py which I located. I opened it and ran it in Idle. I got this message:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "C:\Python32\Lib\site-packages\visual\examples\bounce.py", line 1, in <module>
>     from visual import *
>   File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\visual\__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
>     from .visual_all import *
>   File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\visual\visual_all.py", line 1, in <module>
>     from vis import version
>   File "C:\Python32\lib\site-packages\vis\__init__.py", line 3, in <module>
>     from .cvisual import (vector, dot, mag, mag2, norm, cross, rotate,
> SystemError: initialization of cvisual raised unreported exception

That's a different error message than you reported at first.  If you
can't even run an example supplied with the system, you'd better post a
question on the vpython forum (I presume it's available from
http://vpython.wikidot.com/system:join)   Presumably the install program
is broken.  Or maybe you just can't run visual from IDLE.  Try running
from the terminal prompt.

I'm amazed that it uses   the form:    from visual_all import *
That's considered bad form.  Still, it's probably not the problem.  What
happens if you write a two line program:
    import visual_all
    print("Import succeeded")

--

DaveA