Editing in IDLE

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 14:35:02 EDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 3:14 AM,  <peterfarrell66 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello to the group!
>
> I'm a new Python user and so far I'm enjoying it. One of the many newbie problems I'm having is I can't edit my code in IDLE once it's run or there's an error message. I can only copy the code so far, paste at the bottom and continue coding. Is there something simple I'm missing, or should I be using a different editor?

I only ever use IDLE in its interactive mode (at which, imho, it's
rather better than the default Python interactive mode, as it
auto-indents). In that mode, you can retrieve previous commands with
Alt-P - at least, that's the keystroke on Windows, not sure if it's
different on other platforms.

For editing code that's to be saved in a .py file, I use SciTE, but a
lot of people do use IDLE for that too. It's a matter of personal
preference.

ChrisA