Editing in IDLE

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sat Sep 29 13:52:59 EDT 2012

On 9/29/2012 1:14 PM, peterfarrell66 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello to the group!
>
> I'm a new Python user and so far I'm enjoying it. One of the many
> newbie problems I'm having is I can't edit my code in IDLE once it's
> run or there's an error message. I can only copy the code so far,
> paste at the bottom and continue coding. Is there something simple
> I'm missing, or should I be using a different editor?

You are missing how to use IDLE. It has two kinds of windows:
interactive Shell and Edit windows. The shell more or less emulates the
interactive interpreter, running one statement at a time. You can put
the cursor on a previous statement and hit return to make it the current
statement, where you can edit it. You edit normal multi-statement code
in edit windows, hit F5 to run, edit, run, edit, run.

--
Terry Jan Reedy