Article on the future of Python

wxjmfauth at gmail.com wxjmfauth at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 10:19:56 EDT 2012

Le mercredi 26 septembre 2012 11:55:16 UTC+2, Chris Angelico a écrit :
> On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 7:31 PM,  <wxjmfauth at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > you are correct. But the price you pay for this is extremely
>
> > high. Now, practically all characters are affected, espacially
>
> > those *in* the Basic *** Multilingual*** Plane, these characters
>
> > used by non "American" user (No offense here, I just use this
>
> > word for ascii/latin-1).
>

> > I'm ready to be considered as an idiot, but I'm not blind.
>
> > As soon as I tested these characters, Py3.3 performs really
>
> > badly. It seems to me it is legitimate to consider, there
>
> > is a serious problem here.
>

> We've been over this thread. The only reason you're counting 3.3 as
>
> worse is because you're comparing against a narrow build of Python
>
> 3.2. Narrow builds are **BUGGY** and this needed to be resolved.
>

> When you compare against a wide build, semantics of 3.2 and 3.3 are
>
> identical, and then - and ONLY then - can you sanely compare
>
> performance. And 3.3 stacks up much better.
>

> ChrisA

No, I'm comparing Py33 with Py32 narrow build [*].
And I am not a Python newbie. Others in a previous
discussion have pointed "bad" numbers and even
TR wrote something like "I'm baffled (?) by these
numbers".

I took a look at the test suites, unfortunatelly
they are mainly testing "special cases", something
like one of the 3 internal representations, eg
"latin-1".

I can also add to this, that it is not only one
of the internal representation which may be
suspect (it is probably different now, Py32/Py33) but
also the "switch" between these representations
which is causing troubles.

[*] I have not the knowledge to compile a wide
build and I do not wish to spend my time in something
that will be most probably a nightmare for me.
I'm reacting like a "normal" Python user.

jmf