Article on the future of Python

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 00:10:28 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Steven D'Aprano
> SQL? ... it's time to sell your shares in Oracle.

Ehh, I wouldn't be investing in Oracle, but that's more because I
think free RDBMSes like PostgreSQL outshine it. And this is even more
true of MS SQL Server - this last week I've been researching options
for moving work's services to the cloud, and SQL Server licenses cost
ridiculous amounts (per month or per hour); what do you get for that
money that you can't get from Postgres?

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Paul Rubin <no.email at nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Yes.  Python, Ruby, and Javascript are all pretty similar languages.
> I'm pretty comfortable with Python so I don't feel much need to pursue
> Ruby, and from the Ruby side the Python picture looks similar.
> Javascript used to live mostly in browsers so it didn't come into the
> question except for client-side web programmers.  But, web client
> programming has gotten more ubiquitous than ever, and Javascript is
> metastasizing to the desktop and server through things like node.js.  So
> it may in fact put pressure on Python.

Well, Python, Ruby, and
JavaScript/Javascript/ECMAScript/etceterascript aren't what I'd call
"similar languages", except that they're all modern high level
languages. But they're all able to solve similar problems, which I
think is what you're saying here.

The flip side to node.js is pyjs. One lets you write your server in
Javascript... the other lets you write your client in Python. And
there are quite a few other options for writing browser scripts in
other languages. Is JS dead yet? Nope.

There's room in this world for a lot of languages.

ChrisA