Article on the future of Python

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Tue Sep 25 21:04:33 EDT 2012

Steven D'Aprano <steve+comp.lang.python at pearwood.info> writes:
> C? Once upon a time the C community was growing at a rapid rate
> because of the Unix admins that picked it up from day-to-day scripting
> tasks using c-shell.

Er, I think it was developers rather than admins back then... the
sysadmin languages were awk then Perl.

> SQL? All the exciting, innovative work in databases is happening in the
> non-relational field of NoSQL languages.

Where have you been?  That was LAST week...

  http://highscalability.com/blog/2012/9/24/google-spanners-most-surprising-revelation-nosql-is-out-and.html
  (shorter: http://tinyurl.com/8v3dzyr )

;-)

> More and more development is moving to HTML5 and Javascript.

Yes.  Python, Ruby, and Javascript are all pretty similar languages.
I'm pretty comfortable with Python so I don't feel much need to pursue
Ruby, and from the Ruby side the Python picture looks similar.
Javascript used to live mostly in browsers so it didn't come into the
question except for client-side web programmers.  But, web client
programming has gotten more ubiquitous than ever, and Javascript is
metastasizing to the desktop and server through things like node.js.  So
it may in fact put pressure on Python.