Article on the future of Python

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Tue Sep 25 09:26:19 EDT 2012

On 9/25/12 4:15 AM, Mark Lawrence wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I though this might be of interest.
>
> http://www.ironfroggy.com/software/i-am-worried-about-the-future-of-python

Interesting article, but the comments of those who say "the only
language I need to know is Python" strike me as a bit limited. If this
is the case, then Python can never be moved forward, because it is
written in C.

I program in Python, C, Objective C, JavaScript, Tcl, AppleScript, and
I'm learning Perl. Python could *not* handle all the domains I target in
my projects. For instance: if I want to access Mac-native functionality
via Tkinter that isn't currently available in the library, I have to
drill down into C or Objective-C, write a wrapper that hooks in to the
primitives via Tcl's C API, then possibly write some additional Tcl code
to provide a cleaner interface, *then* write some kind of Python wrapper
that I can access in my Tkinter app.

I can understand loving the language and wanting to work just in the
language, but it's another thing entirely to call Python the One
Language to Rule Them All. (That's C, because all other languages are
implemented in it. :-) )

--Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer