For Counter Variable

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue Sep 25 06:57:32 EDT 2012

On 09/25/12 00:53, Thomas Rachel wrote:
> Am 25.09.2012 01:39 schrieb Dwight Hutto:
>> You don't always know all the built-ins, so the builtin is
>> simpler, but knowing how to code it yourself is the priority of
>> learning to code in a higher level language, which should be
>> simpler to the user of python.
>
> When learning Python, it often happend me to re-inven the wheel.
> But as soon as I saw the presence of something I re-wrote, I
> skipped my re-written version and used the built-in.

As a beginning Pythonista, I found myself doing the same thing.  I
implemented my own CSV parsing until I discovered how easy it was to
do with the built-in library.  I implemented my own option-parsing
until I found optparse/argparse.  I implemented config-files until I
found ConfigFile.

Coming from C where just about *nothing* is in the stdlib and Java &
PHP where only some core functionalities are in the stdlib, to
Python where just the list of modules in the stdlib is humongous, I
have to make http://docs.python.org/library/ my first stop before I
try implementing anything I think might have even a remote
possibility of being there.

-tkc