Memory usage per top 10x usage per heapy

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Tue Sep 25 06:51:02 EDT 2012

On 09/24/12 23:41, Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2012 14:59:47 -0700 (PDT), MrsEntity
> <junkshops at gmail.com> declaimed the following in
> gmane.comp.python.general:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm working on some code that parses a 500kb, 2M line file line by line and saves, per line, some derived strings
>
> 	Pardon? A 2million line file will contain, at the minimum 2million
> line-end characters. That four times 500kB just in the line-ends,
> ignoring any data.

As corrected later in the thread, MrsEntity writes

"""
I have, in fact, this very afternoon, invented a means of writing a
carriage return character using only 2 bits of information. I am
prepared to sell licenses to this revolutionary technology for the
low price of $29.95 plus tax.

Sorry, that should've been a 500Mb, 2M line file.
"""

If only other unnamed persons on the list were so gracious rather
than turning the flame-dial to 11.

I hope that when people come to the list, *this* is what they see,
laugh, and want to participate.

Although, MrsEntity could be zombie David A. Huffman, whose encoding
scheme actually *can* store 2M lines in 500kb :-)

-tkc