For Counter Variable

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 25 05:46:18 EDT 2012

On 25/09/2012 10:32, wxjmfauth at gmail.com wrote:
> I wrote my first program on a PDP-8. I discovered Python
> at release 1.5.?
>
> Now years later... I find Python more and more unusable.

Dementia is a growing problem for us older people :)

> As an exemple related to this topic, which summarizes a
> little bit the situation. I just opened my interactive
> interpreter and produced this:

> ...     '{} {}'.format(i, s[i])
> '2 c'
> '1 b'
> '0 a'
>
> I did it so many times with a reverse/enumerate combination,
> I'm unable to do it again, I simply do not remember!

Based on things I've read as I've never used it myself try using Perl as
that should simplify things for you.

> One another really annoying aspect of Python, illustrated
> in my previous code: ''.format() .
> Was it not supposed to be *the* new formating scheme?

That might have been the original intention but it's not going to take
over the world as there's too much legacy code using the C style %
formatters.  IIRC isn't there also something about string templates???

> I'm toying more and more with the go language. I really
> appreciate and rediscover the strictness I learned with
> Pascal.

So go and use go as nobody here is stopping you.

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.