For Counter Variable

alex23 wuwei23 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 24 19:48:20 EDT 2012

On Sep 25, 9:39 am, Dwight Hutto <dwightdhu... at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not the simpler solution I'm referring to, it's the fact that if
> you're learning, then you should be able to design the built-in, not
> just use it.

Garbage. I don't need to be able to build a SQLAlchemy to use it. I
don't need to be able to build an XML parser to use one. The whole
goddamn point of abstractions is to _ease the cognitive load_ in
building a complex system.

> You don't always know all the built-ins, so the builtin is simpler,
> but knowing how to code it yourself is the priority of learning to
> code in a higher level language, which should be simpler to the user
> of python.

"Higher level" means, in part, not _having to give a shit_ about the
sort of low level coding you're obsessed with. If it rocks your world
to declare your own index pointer and increment it on each pass of a
loop, knock yourself out. Just accept that others will criticise your
code for being "unpythonic". Why even use the language if you're not
prepared to _use_ the language...and that means _more than the
syntax_. It extends to the standard library and through to the entire
ecosystem that has developed around it.

People are drawn to Python to get shit done, not to spend pointless
time in recreating every wheel.