Blue Screen Python

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Sat Sep 22 07:44:24 EDT 2012

On 09/22/2012 06:53 AM, Alister wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 18:47:57 -0400, Dave Angel wrote:
>
>> <SNIP>
>>
>> That's not true at all.  You'd re thinking of Windows 3, Windows 95, 98,
>> and ME, which were hacked on top of MSDOS.  But Windows NT3.5, 4, 2000,
>> XP, Vista and Windows 7 have an entirely different bloodline.
>>
>> NT 3.51 was actually very robust, but in 4.0 to gain better performance,
>> they apparently did some compromising in the video driver's isolation.
>> And who knows what's happened since then.
> Although NT upwards has tried to introduce

Your wording seems to imply that you still think NT was built on some
earlier MS product.  It was written from scratch by a team recruited
mostly from outside MS, including the leader, a guy who was I think
experienced in VMS development.  The names escape me right now.  But
there were a couple of books, by Helen someone, I think, which helped us
outsiders understand some of the philosophies of the development.

>  user-space requirements the
> need to maintain backwards compatibility has compromised these efforts.
> it is not helped by the end user's (just look at what happened to Vista's
> attempt to make users authorise any changes to the system)

I don't see any connection between memory address space user models and
user security models.

--

DaveA