Blue Screen Python

Alister alister.ware at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 22 06:53:00 EDT 2012

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 18:47:57 -0400, Dave Angel wrote:

> On 09/21/2012 12:01 PM, Alister wrote:

>>> Python is a user-space application.  User-space applications can't
>>> cause blue-screens unless they manage to trigger a bug in hardware, OS
>>> kernel,
>>> or device driver.
>
> True.  Too bad there are so many of those bugs.
>
>> But Windows does not have any true concept of user-space (although it
>> does make an almost convincing pretence) it has been hacked up from an
>> operating system that's original security model was "Lock the door when
>> you leave the office"
>>

> That's not true at all.  You're thinking of Windows 3, Windows 95, 98,
> and ME, which were hacked on top of MSDOS.  But Windows NT3.5, 4, 2000,
> XP, Vista and Windows 7 have an entirely different bloodline.
>
> NT 3.51 was actually very robust, but in 4.0 to gain better performance,
> they apparently did some compromising in the video driver's isolation.
> And who knows what's happened since then.

Although NT upwards has tried to introduce user-space requirements the
need to maintain backwards compatibility has compromised these efforts.
it is not helped by the end user's (just look at what happened to Vista's
attempt to make users authorise any changes to the system)

--
VMS, n.:
	The world's foremost multi-user adventure game.