Guides for communicating with business accounting systems

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Fri Sep 14 02:28:14 EDT 2012

Emile van Sebille <emile at fenx.com> writes:

> The only standard I'm aware of is the EDI specification which I first
> encountered in the mid 70's and which is updated routinely. The full
> spec is the size of a telephone book (do they even still make those?)

Thanks, that's something to look into. And yes, in Melbourne we're still
getting phone books delivered.

> GST isn't particularly complicated, but again, be really REALLY clear
> what's going on. It's better to be massively verbose in the database
> and then squash things down for display than to be left wondering

Good advice, if depressing in its prospects.

> Don't use MySQL. :) Okay, that's hardly a *rule*, but it's a strong
> recommendation.

That's another struggle we have in our future, unfortunately.

--
 \       “If we listen only to those who are like us, we will squander |
  `\   the great opportunity before us: To live together peacefully in |