Tkinter bug in Entry widgets on OS X

Russell E. Owen rowen at uw.edu
Thu Sep 13 16:33:20 EDT 2012

In article <k1qhgn$me0$1 at dont-email.me>,
 Kevin Walzer <kw at codebykevin.com> wrote:

> On 8/31/12 6:18 AM, Arnaud Delobelle wrote:
> > I'm very inexperienced with Tkinter (I've never used it before).  All
> > I'm looking for is a workaround, i.e. a way to somehow suppress that
> > output.
>
> What are you trying to do? Navigate the focus to another widget? You
> should use the tab bar for that, not the arrow key. The entry widget is
> a single-line widget, and doesn't have up/down as the text widget does.

Based on other replies it looks as if the OP found a way to intercept
the event with suitable binding.

But I can answer the "why": on Mac OS X in a one-line text box up-arrow
should move the cursor to the beginning and down-arrow to the end.
That's standard behavior.

In any case I can't imagine ever wanting to see special chars get added
when arrow keys are pressed. The default behavior of the Entry widget is
unfortunate.

-- Russell