Python presentations

William R. Wing (Bill Wing) wrw at mac.com
Thu Sep 13 12:16:17 EDT 2012

On Sep 13, 2012, at 12:00 PM, andrea crotti <andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to give a couple of Python presentations in the next weeks, and
> I'm still thinking what is the best approach.
>
> In one presentation for example I will present decorators and context
> managers, and my biggest doubt is how much I should show and explain in
> slides and how much in an interactive way (with ipython for example).

[byte]

Speaking from experience as both a presenter and an audience member, please be sure that anything you demo interactively you include in your slide deck (even if only as an addendum).  I assume your audience will have access to the deck after your talk (on-line or via hand-outs), and you want them to be able to go home and try it out for themselves.

Nothing is more frustrating than trying to duplicate something you saw a speaker do, and fail because of some detail you didn't notice at the time of the talk.  A good example is one that was discussed on the matplotlib-users list several weeks ago:

http://www.loria.fr/~rougier/teaching/matplotlib/

-Bill