Newbie: where's the new python gone?

Hans Mulder hansmu at xs4all.nl
Sun Sep 9 13:44:20 EDT 2012

On 9/09/12 16:28:55, BobAalsma wrote:
> I think I've installed Python 2.7.3 according to the instructions in the README, and now want to use that version.
> However, when typing "python" in Terminal, I get "Python 2.6.4 (r264:75821M, Oct 27 2009, 19:48:32) ".

Was that a freshly opened Terminal window, or one that was open
before the install?

The installers from python.org by default modify
your .bashrc file to put
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin
at the front of your shell's search path.

However, that only affects windows opened after the install
(unless you use "source ~/.bashrc" to read the new setting
into a pre-existing window).

What happens if you type:
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python ?

> So:
> (1) I can't seem to find where the new software has gone and
> (2) can't seem to find how to point to this new versoin.
> I've searched Python.org and with Google but :(
> [I'm on Mac OS X 10.7.4]

I'm on MacOS 10.5.0, and my default Python is
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/bin/python

If yours isn't, you could try looking in finder at the
disk you installed Python to, and see if it has a top-level
folder named "Library", containing "Frameworks", etc.

If you find a "Python.framework" under /System/Library
that's the one that ships with MacOS.

Hope this helps,

-- HansM