Newbie: where's the new python gone?

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sun Sep 9 13:41:16 EDT 2012

In article <9fcf4eb6-1ea3-4f75-bf2a-031b754a2c89 at googlegroups.com>,
 BobAalsma <overhaalsgang_24_bob at me.com> wrote:
> Umm2, as said, I think I've installed (at least downloaded) 2.7.3 (note the
> three there) and with "python2.7" I now see "Python 2.7.1 (r271:86832, Jun 16
> 2011, 16:59:05)"

Did you use a binary installer from python.org or did you build it
yourself from source?  In the former case, you should find the newer
python2.7 at /usr/local/bin/python2.7.  Also, the installer by default
should have added the framework bin directory to your shell PATH.  Try
opening a new terminal window and typing python2.7.   In any case, as
suggested:

   which python

should tell you the path to the python you are invoking.  It doesn't
appear to be an Apple-supplied one or a python.org one, BTW.

--
 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org