Comparing strings from the back?

Johannes Bauer dfnsonfsduifb at gmx.de
Thu Sep 6 10:33:04 EDT 2012

On 06.09.2012 16:23, Dave Angel wrote:
> On 09/06/2012 09:43 AM, Johannes Bauer wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Yes, worst-case is O(N), best case O(1). Average is O(n log n).
>
> Can't see how you came up with an average of n log(n).  Fourteen minutes
> before you made this post, you demonstrated it was less than 2 for any N.

O(log n) is what I meant, sorry! Damnit.

> And I previously posted that for a character set of size 10, the average
> was 1.1111

For any given string n and and alphabet size l, the average is:

sum(i = 0..n) (1 / (l ^ n))

So with larger word length, the total complexity constantly increases.
The amount by which it increases however is shrinking exponentially with
the word length. Therefore O(log n).

Sorry about the n log n mistake, argh.

Best regards & thanks for the correction,
Johannes

> Zumindest nicht öffentlich!
Kosmologen: Die Geheim-Vorhersage.
 - Karl Kaos über Rüdiger Thomas in dsa <hidbv3$om2$1 at speranza.aioe.org>