Looking for an IPC solution

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at shopzeus.com
Thu Sep 6 06:13:25 EDT 2012

> Probably the fastest I/RPC implementation for Python should be
> OmniOrbpy:
>
> http://omniorb.sourceforge.net/
>
> It's cross-platform, language-independent and standard-(Corba-)
> compliant.
I don't want to use IDL though. Clients will be written in Python, and
it would be a waste of time to write IDL files.

>> I have seen a stand alone cross platform IPC server before that could
>> serve "channels", and send/receive messages using these channels. But
>> I don't remember its name and now I cannot find it. Can somebody
>> please help?
> If it's just for "messaging", Spread should be interesting:
>
> http://www.spread.org/
>
> Also cross-platform & language-independent.
Looks promising. This is what I have found about it:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35490/spread-vs-mpi-vs-zeromq

> So, it really depends on whether you are trying to build a parallel
> system or distributed system. They are related to each other, but the
> implied connotations/goals are different. Parallel programming deals
> with increasing computational power by using multiple computers
> simultaneously. Distributed programming deals with reliable
> (consistent, fault-tolerant and highly available) group of computers.

I don't know the full theory behind distributed programming or parallel
programming. ZMQ seems easier to use.