python docs search for 'print'

Ramchandra Apte maniandram01 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 08:45:00 EDT 2012

On Wednesday, 5 September 2012 15:03:56 UTC+5:30, Terry Reedy  wrote:
> On 9/5/2012 1:22 AM, Ramchandra Apte wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday, 5 September 2012 09:35:43 UTC+5:30, Terry Reedy  wrote:
>

> >> If you do find the right place, you should contribute something to an
>
> >> improvement. The current search performance is not a secret, so mere
>
> >> complaints are useless.
>

> > I was thinking we could just use Google Site search (it's fast easy to
>
>  > setup and gives good results)
>

> I have the impression that that is what we once did, but maybe not. Or
>
> maybe that is or was for python.org but not docs.python.org, etc. Ease
>
> version of the docs needs the search restricted to that version. If you
>
> can give the way to do the easy setup, with that constraint, that would
>
> be a positive suggestion, accepted or not.
>

> --
>
> Terry Jan Reedy

Google site search costs 2000$ for 500,000 searches per year and 750$ for 150,000 searches so its quite expensive.
Also the print function only comes in the third result (python 3.2)
if you search for "site:docs.python.org/release/3.2 print" the print function is not found at all.
I think a specialized algorithm would work better.
I'm going to code an program for this.