python docs search for 'print'

William R. Wing (Bill Wing) wrw at mac.com
Tue Sep 4 14:38:47 EDT 2012

On Sep 4, 2012, at 1:58 PM, David Hoese <dhoese at gmail.com> wrote:

> A friend made me aware of this:
> When a python beginner (2.x) quick searches for "print" on docs.python.org, the print function doesn't even come up in the top 20 results.  The print statement isn't even listed as far as I can tell.  Is there something that can be done about this to make it easier for beginners?
>
> I understand that this is a very basic search and "print" is a very common word and a very basic python statement, but it's pretty difficult for a beginner to learn when the first 5 results are about the disassembler and the next 5 are C functions.
>
> -Dave
> --

+100 (or some very large number).  This is a general problem in searching the python library reference ("keep this under your pillow").  Try searching for list, iter, read, or write or any one of a whole bunch of things a newbie would logically be looking for.  (Or even a not-quite-newbie who wanted to check some detail.)

-Bill