SSH Connection with Python

Gelonida N gelonida at gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 17:44:09 EDT 2012

On 10/29/2012 04:18 PM, David Robinow wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2012 at 4:09 PM, Gelonida N <gelonida at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The only thing I'm concerned about paramiko is, that I don't see any
>> activity on the paramiko site and that one library it depends on is not
>> available is windows binary package for newer versions of python.
>>
>   I don't understand why this is a problem.
> \python27\python setup.py install     #for pycrypto & paramiko
> \python27\python test.py   # for paramiko
>
> Works for me.  Of course, you need  Visual C++ 2008, but the free
> express edition is sufficient, and you should have that anyway if
> you're doing Windows development. If that's too hard for you, try
> http://www.serenethinking.com/bitlift/download.html
> [not my site, no guarantees]

It's not a problem. It's an inconvenience.

We're having multiple PCs. Many of the PC owners don't want to write any
C-code and don't want to be bothered with registering at Microsoft just
to install a module and using a library.

Normally my preferred approach is, that somebody wanting to use any
library, that I wrote)  can install all dependencies  by:

- Installing Python
- installing easy_install (and pip)
and be able to install all the rest with easy_install

Using a library, that forces users to have to install MS-VC or mingw or
to install binaries from non-pypy sites is something I try to avoid.

My next preferred approach would be to bundle such dependencies by
myself, but this would involve to check all the legal stuff of each
library to see whether this is possible or not, etc . . .

Apart from that I consider the existence of Windows binary packages as
kind of an indicator of the health/popularity of a package and whether
it has been used sufficiently under Windows to be considered working
well under Windows.