Shipping python modules - best practices?

Demian Brecht demianbrecht at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 17:41:29 EDT 2012

I should also mention that these are just my personal best practices that I've put together during my time working with/on OS projects. You'll almost never find two projects with identical packaging, so really at the end of the day, it's totally up to you and your particular project requirements.

On 2012-10-27, at 2:39 PM, Demian Brecht <demianbrecht at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) IMHO, these should be two distinct steps. You will definitely want to run unit tests without sdist and likewise, I'm sure you'll want to sdist without unit tests. Personally, if I wanted to combine the two, I'd create tasks in a makefile and just run something along the lines of: make unit sdist
>
> 2) I don't understand why you'd want to run unit tests during installation. Unit tests are generally used pre-commit to ensure everything's working as expected in your environment and post commit to ensure there are no knock-on effects caused by your changes to the current code base. Running them during installation seems rather strange and useless to me..
>
> 3) Docs are generally stored in a /doc directory at the root of your project. I haven't used pydoc, but if it's anything like sphinx, then best practice is to commit the source for your docs and have the users using the project generate the static content themselves (usually done through a make target).
>
> On 2012-10-27, at 7:02 AM, rambius <rambiusparkisanius at gmail.com> wrote:

Demian Brecht
@demianbrecht
http://demianbrecht.github.com