Error compiling python3.2.3: architecture of input file is incompatible

Hans Mulder hansmu at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 27 17:04:29 EDT 2012

On 27/10/12 16:11:48, Tobias Marquardt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to compile Python 3.2.3.
> On my 64 bit Ubuntu machine I have no problems but using Ubuntu 32 but I
> get the following error:
>
> /usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file
> `Parser/tokenizer_pgen.o' is incompatible with i386 output
> /usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file
> `Parser/printgrammar.o' is incompatible with i386 output
> /usr/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `Parser/pgenmain.o'
> is incompatible with i386 output
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [Parser/pgen] Error 1
>
> As it's the first time for me compiling python by myself, I have no idea
> how to solve this. So I'm glad to see any suggestions.

It looks like you've copied *.o files from your 64 bit build
to your 32 bit box.  If that's your problem, then the easiest
solution is to delete everything and start over.

Alternatively, you could run "make distclean"; that will delete
a lot of generated files and then re-run configure.  After that,
running "make" should work.

Hope this helps,

-- HansM