[OT] Re: turn list of letters into an array of integers

Mark Lawrence breamoreboy at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 04:55:37 EDT 2012

On 25/10/2012 09:25, Peter Otten wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 07:47:48 +0200, Peter Otten wrote:
>>
>>> Wasn't there a Monty Python sketch where a man carrying a parrot in a
>>> cage comes into a shop full of stuffed animals and complains: No, I
>>> don't admire the taxidermist for making that parrot look like it were
>>> alive -- that beast bit me!
>>
>> I don't think so. Are you thinking of the famous Monty Python "Dead
>> Parrot Sketch"? Here's one of many versions:
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ0218
>
> My rendition was meant to be a travesty of that one, an "undead" parrot as a
> follow-up to Dennis' "lich" post. I'm sorry I forgot the smiley ;)
>
> - He didn't move, that was just the wind stirring his plumage.
> - No, that parrot is alive and kicking, fresh as a daisy, full of beans...
> - Aren't the glass eyes beautiful?
> - Glass eyes -- he just blinked!
>
> And so on. I'm off to work on my laden swallow branch of Python. It's going
> to be a real heavy-weight...

I just hope you get the technicalities correct.  "That parrot wouldn't
move if you put 4 million volts through it".  What rubbish.  It should
either have been 4 million amps through it or 4 million volts across it.
  I'm +1 for the former, although possibly biased by history.

--
Cheers.

Mark Lawrence.